Reflections

Eastbound this morning the weather got progressively worse. I could see stars as I hopped into my truck, and by the time I stepped off the ferry downtown it was pouring. The trip home had the weather clearing somewhat and so I braved the upper deck of the boat and looked around.

Seattle shrinks and I am reminded of how this same ferry trip used to be such a novelty - a cheap date even. I recall taking Sue for a ride back when she first came to visit me here nearly 13 years ago. Now, I take 2 ferry trips a day, 10 a week, 40+ a month and up to 500 a year. I expect the romance of such journeys will soon fade.

Looking north and east, I note with a hint of sadness that home is not really there anymore. And, in fact, outside of downtown Seattle I have not been on "the other side" since I hauled a 26' (not ") Uhaul onto the M/V Spokane nearly a month ago. And I think to myself: I have no idea - really - what all is happening over there. In Lynnwood, in Brier, or in Bothell - sometimes its odd to think about life going on without you, almost as if you had died. Such an odd collection of the little things you miss and ask yourself, such as: I wonder if they ever fixed that one pothole? Or I wonder if Basil has finished painting his house? Or I wonder if Big E has introduced a Winter Brew? I miss being able to pick up the phone and invite sf over, spur of the moment, to have a sip of scotch and watch a decidedly non-chick flick. Of course, we knew this was going to be the price we were going to pay, but when you are actually paying it...well it kinda sucks. Sorta like "no interest, no payments for six months."

Rade's presence here, monday through friday, has been a blessing - a welcome reflection of our relationships overr there. Just his presence alone has made our ongoing transition so much easier. I count our present symbiotic relationship to be nothing short of God's providence, and though he may likely grow weary of us, we are and always will be thankful to have him.

Dawn has also been of great beenfit in helping us transition...even if she is from BI. (running and ducking). Her welcoming us and engaging us and helping us has been invaluable. Besides her presence, she has also been our "tour guide" of sorts, answering our many questions like: "Where do I take James if he cuts his hand off with an axe?" Or "Where do I go to register my van?" Or "Where's the nearest pub?"

Anyway, after filling my holes over the last weekend I sat down on my porch with my pipe and a Silver City Whoop Pass IPA and talked to my wife about our pasture plans, our chicken plans, and the need to get the flea and tick medicine put on Killick. Living the dream - though still growing it. But ever present - I expect - will be a sense of curiosity as to what is going on "over there."

The boat has docked on the west side, time to go home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hate it when you get all mushy, makes it hard to see the screen -

we miss you too, see you on the 3rd.

sf
Susan Sophia said…
The kids feel it too. Anytime they are crying for whatever reason (discipline or injury)they want to "go home". I'm thinking we need to make an effort to "go home" every once in awhile. Maybe sometime soon.
Susan Sophia said…
btw...I love reading your thoughts on our new adventure. LOVE IT!
Liz in Seattle said…
Anytime you want to "go home," remember our guest room. Admission: Silver City Fat B****rd.

Who knows, maybe we could get a highly competent sitter for all six kids, and then go out somewhere and BE GROWNUPS!

:-)
Anonymous said…
awww, what a sweet post. you forgot that you have a nurse close enough that your wife can call and say "James has a wire stuck in his finger, can you look at it?"
Mimi said…
Dawn rocks!

I know what you mean,though, as you orient yourselves towards your new home and the old one slips away.
fdj said…
Well with the finger, I just yanked it out with rusty needle nose pliers, applied some old bailing wire as a tourniquet and then let the dog lick the wound out.

I feel quite fine now, in fact I feel down rig
Anonymous said…
did you mean to leave off the end of that? you need to start home-brewing, that will fix any problem.
fdj said…
yeah...lame joke.

Popular Posts