Towers of Cedar to Towers of steel

Not often coming into downtown Seattle via the Bainbridge Ferry, I must note the stark contrast between where I left and where I have arrived. It was dark when I left and so I saw little during the crossing, but as we arrived into Seattle, the conifers were replaced by massive monuments to commerce. Noise abounded: honking horns, shouting people, and traffic speeding or not speeding along the innumerable roadways. The fresh smells of McDonald's, urine, and car exhaust greeted me as I stepped out of the ferry terminal and into the grinder of downtown life - the stars had all but vanished - their light usurped by lofty and luminous office windows.

I watched kids on their way to school, running past endless storefronts and truly I marvelled at why one would choose to live in such an environment. I know, I know, they look at me and marvel in return...but I will tell you what: I am assured this morning of where home is for me and mine.

Comments

Meg said…
Your reaction reminds me of my son's, after he'd moved to eastern PA and came home for a visit. We wondered which place would mean "home" to him, but needn't have worried -- he said the thing he missed most about NH was the trees. We've been to visit him and know what he means -- that relentlessly overdeveloped area must be so wearing on his spirit.

I grew up in NYC, and can't imagine living in the city, any city, anymore.
Anonymous said…
James,
I remember the first time I drove a car on the other side of the water after moving here, it was to your house when Chance and Cybil visited, almost two years ago. I had been here over a year already and hadn't driven over there. It was very strange. It's definitely different over here.
Anonymous said…
As a fellow rural lover myself, I was explaining my need for peace and quiet and green growing things to an associate at a meeting downtown. He argued with me, saying that it's quiet "right here", which meant the Seattle waterfront, about 100 yards from the Aurora overpass. He was totally serious. He himself lives downtown, and apparently no longer hears it. Context is everything, I guess.

- Steve K

Popular Posts