Another step closer to Spring

The signs are showing. The cold seems past now and the mud has returned. We presently are being threatened with temperatures exceeding 50 this week. Of course we have a ways to go yet and things could certainly change, but with the appearance of a very early Zacchaeus Sunday, we are assured that Spring is truly on its way.

We aren't anywhere near as reliant upon or tuned into the seasons as we will be in the near future, but none-the-less I definitely feel more connected with our planet's orientation to the sun. The land and soil around our home has become more to us than merely a place to park things or play upon, but as I said in our "Christmas Chronicle", it is becoming something that we tend to and are in return provided for (Of course most of what we are doing now is tending, with only firewood thus far being provided). Anyway, there is much to be done and a stretch of sunny weather (cold or not) would be much appreciated.

Our wood supply is heavily depleted. By my estimates we have burned through almost three cords, and presently I have over a cord (perhaps close to two) seasoning in the woodshed - much of it still needing to be split, which I spent last Sunday afternoon doing. With the additional two fallen Alders out in the woods I expect to have plenty of wood for next year.

While I was chopping wood, Sue finished the last few post holes and we set the posts in concrete. Next is the actual fencing, finishing my handmade gate, netting over the top (eagles and hawks are making themselves more and more known around the farm), and finally a door cut into the coop. THEN, the nearly full grown flock will make their first venture outdoors.

We've met someone visiting at church who has two goats getting ready to kid this Spring. If they are does we will buy a couple and raise them. We've decided to convert out "storage shed" into a goat barn and so our next project is going to be fencing around the barn. The goats will have a small bit of pasture there and then we will section out some additional pasture for them on other sections of the property. The loss of the storage will also mean we will need to build another storage shed.

At the same time we need to get Sue's garden ready which includes the need for even more fencing to keep the deer out.

Wow...the list is rather long, but then again we asked for it. Thus far it has been some of the most satisfying work of my life and if I could quit my job tomorrow I'd do it. I've often compared the calender of the church to a dance that we move through year in and year out. Living closer to the land adds another dimension to the dance...and it is exceptionally complimentary as one, I suppose, would expect.

Comments

Popular Posts