Cold

I've rather enjoyed the last several days of cold and snow. First it made for a beautiful wedding day (IMHO) for Rade and Valerie (May God grant them many years!), and then it also tends to blanket the forest with not only white, but also a certain pervasive quietness - oddly noticeable. I found myself quite enjoying just listening to nothing, or next to it. Of course this was between the various roars of my chainsaw's teeth ripping through tree flesh.

It also froze the earth and the mud that has for so long been apart of our lives during this already too long winter. And while this made it tough to dig fence post holes (I managed a couple) it did make it possible to bring wheelbarrows of firewood directly into the house without tracking in mud.

The chicken fencing is one step closer to being done - using a chainsaw - I fostered a decidedly rustic gate of which I am proud. That being done we have 5 or 6 more posts and then we can start running the wire.

I must admit, there is something particularly manly about doing fencing for livestock (yes even if just chickens). Standing on your land and looking down a straight row of fence posts you set, while watching the sun set through evergreens? Priceless.

Comments

Popular Posts