Baptism in Tears

Confession, it has been said, is akin to a second baptism: a baptism in tears. This weekend I was priviledged to see regular baptisms and, for all intents and purposes, a baptism in tears as well. How wonderful it was to see the holy chrism being mingled with tears – tears that expressed the virtually inexpressable joy of at last fulfilling the yearning one has had for too long to enter into the Orthodox Church.

I can remember that yearning in my own heart, and it was a joy to me to be able to share that with the people received on Lazarus Saturday. Recalling my own process of inquiring, I watched two other groups enter the Church before I was able to and I longed to say the words that they were saying, and every Sunday and feastday was a day of nearly sinful envy as I stood back and watched everyone else go to the chalice. What a glorious day when you get to spit on the devil and embrace the Church, and to say when asked if you wish to join yourself to the Church: “I desire it with all my heart!”

To be able to say “I am an Orthodox Christian” was something I truly yearned for…and it is something to be celebrated. Let us wait for the day after to remember that it is also a fearful and precarious thing to say.

Comments

Pintradex said…
I remember yearning for that too. I couldnt wait. after chrismation i felt like sleeping for a week. All that searching was over. Yes, the real journey was only beginning but no more searching for that elusive "deeper" teaching or that perfect worship experience. I had stepped into the Kingdom.

Thanks for that post. It broght back memories I should never forget.

Popular Posts