For Rade...


A huge folk brass band retreat. What's not to love? Check out the caption that accompanied this AP photo:

A Serb flashes 3-fingers Orthodox salute as he joins 'What cheer? brigade', a brass band from Providence, Rhode Island, playing in Guca, some 160 km (100 miles) south of Belgrade, Aug. 11, 2007, during the 'Dragacevo Trumpet Festival,' the world's biggest folk brass band gathering, a kind of Woodstock of the Balkans, which some call the craziest alcohol-drinking and pork-eating assembly on the globe.

LOL!

Comments

I am curious to learn the Orthodox Church link with the Hellenic culture. So I've suggested some readings on my blogsite. Could you help me with your comments?

Έρρωσθε
Anonymous said…
I've actually been to the brass band festival in Guca, back in '98 when I went with my mother and father. It really is insane... They open the festival by detonating stick of dynamite on the hill above the town, I saw small tree being blown up . All these fantastic bands, street vendors competing to see who has the best baked sauerkraut or roast pig, dancing, drinking beer and brandy into the night!
Liz in Seattle said…
Wow. This year he offers a roasted pig for every festal occasion...what's coming next? Eh?
Anonymous said…
Wow, now I've had to add the Serbian Dragacevo Trumpet Festival as one of those parties I'd love to someday attend!

Cheers!
Basil

Popular Posts