Russian Music

I stumbled across the Discovery Institutes's "Russia Blog" and found some terrific videos.

The St. Petersburg Chamber Choir

Listen to that BASS!

Not exactly bell ringing at Kolomenskoye

Also if you click here and look under "related" you can see all sort of Russian Bell ringing stuff.

This one is really good: The Bell Player of Feodorovsky Cathedral


And the choir from Kolomenskoye

I'll bet someone can enlighten me as to what they are singing...beautiful even without knowing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, that bass is awesome. Especially in person. I happened to be in Austria as they were passing through, total coincidence, and they happened to take time out to visit a tiny little Serbian Church in Feldkirch, Vorarlburg. A church which appears to have the habit of being completely packed (standing room only, of course). Actually, a rather amusing and embarrassing situation occurred there. My wife and I came before most of the parishioners arrived. By the time liturgy started, we looked about and I discovered that I was the only male standing in that half of the church. I slinked off toward the other side of the church, trying to look inconspicuous, having remembered the way they organize people in the 'old country'.
Anonymous said…
I believe they are singing the Magnificat. Certainly they're singing More Honorable as a refrain...

- Steve K
Unknown said…
beautiful. and not to be left out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcK26_mYD4Q&mode=related&search=
Anonymous said…
Awesome piece! Graphic treatment yet really lush and depthful. Depthful? You know what I mean.

Popular Posts