What does one do with what they have seen?

Intellectually? Emotionally? Spiritually? Physically? As I mentioned in the comments of the previous post: what I have seen sits prominently within me, staring at me and asking this very same question. This "thing" is multifaceted and it is somewhat hard to verbalize a description of the perspectives with which one can approach and walk away from the thing.


First...I am sharing my experience. Here, GrammaFaith snapped a pic of me sharing some pics and videos with the kids. Explaining, as best as I am able, both the wonders and the horrors of what I saw. Again, as I've noted before, no lions or elephants - just people and everyday life in and around Kampala. Perspective that I have gained (to be shared momentarily) is hopefully going to be "passed on" (aka Paradosis) to my kids.

Like explaining that this boy:

...probably has no idea what a "pokemon" is (despite his shirt)and that this old tire and a couple of sticks are very likely his only "toy." He was quite adept at rolling the thing around...perhaps oblivious to how sad his state appears to my kids with their seemingly unending supply of ever boring toys.



A young boy (patient?) who approached me at the UCI, to happily tell me: "I am fine!" Did he think he needed to tell me that? Was my expression that revealing as I wandered the campus?

As with all trips I have taken, when taken alone the return is always a serious time of quiet reflection (along with nether region numbing boredom). The perspective gained from seeing what would seem to be abject poverty first hand fillets one open and shows the ugliness therein. The pettiness...the moral failings I am far too swift to accept...the worries I suffer from my own unnecessary making...the extent to which I cannot tell the difference between needs and desires - or at least do not care to discern much between the two. All of these things you take home and then wonder to what extent they may lead to change in your own life. More joy? More contentment? More desire and the ability to live simply? More appreciation for what is truly important in life? Hopefully. Praying it does not fade, for the 9,000 mile change of context is brutal, deceptive, and far too comfortable.

Can one make a difference?

I have been spending a great deal of time wondering about why so many people suffer poverty in Uganda. Campaigns to "End Poverty" noble as they may be, I do not think will ever accomplish their goal, if for no other reason than what I was told both by my Muslim friend Isma and Fr. Peter: corruption from the top to the bottom. The government, like so many others, do not serve the people. Oh sure they may appear to and they will certainly do what minimum they must to maintain order, but money rarely finds its way intact to the project it was intended to fund. I think, in a very real way, such governments, where there is little to no accountability, no real opportunity to see them changed or reformed will ever keep their people stuck and stagnant. New roads are a prime example: the people of Kampala are literally sick of being asked the common billboard question: "Are you ready for CHOGM?" Many I am told are cynical from all of the cleanup and new road paving and the new hotels going up, for they know that once CHOGM ends the cheaply made roads will quickly deteriorate (for the money that should have made them a quality product is found instead in numerous relatives pockets), the hotels will be found mostly empty and the new garbage cans/service in the downtown area will likely cease.

Poverty is a complex issue, but the Ugandans I met have me convinced that it is indeed abject as long as the governmental corruption continues. And sending in a donation will only help for a time...a short time...and alas it develops some very poor habits. Projects that do more than hand out money or food are critical I think.

So, again, I am led to ask: what can one person do to help? Charities that work to build sustainable incomes would be my choice. Heifer international (they have an office right down the road from our project house), Argos (where Seraphim works), and others are great example. My friend Erica is currently building a very unique project to help the Uganda Cancer Institute which is horribly ill-funded and where people are dying quite unnecessarily...I will keep you all appraised as that begins to come online.

And, importantly, I am staying in touch with some of the people I have met there and I hope to be able to help them. I am, in fact, putting what is at the moment an obscure idea together to perhaps assist the youth of St. Sophia Parish, most of whom are orphans or are in some other way dependent on the Church and Fr. Peter for their well being and schooling. Anyway, it is a long way from bearing fruit and will be for sometime, but I am committed to examining the possibilities and if deemed possible I will pursue it vigorously. I will talk more about it as I continue to work out details and investigate a few matters...it stands to be a logistical nightmare, but worth it for them in the long run, I think.


I don't know if this answers the question or not. I think what is most important is that I go on asking that question of myself...everyday. What I have see stands to affect every aspect of my life: from speaking more sweetly to struggling vigorously toward living a more honest and selfless life.

No small task for one so self-serving as me.

Comments

Mimi said…
Great recommendations, thank you.
Anonymous said…
The more I read of your experience, reflections, and internal struggle...

The more I see pictures of loving in abandonment, smiles and comments of "I am fine!"...

the more I mourn. Not for them.

For me.

Because it is **I** who live in abject poverty.

God save me.
Liz in Seattle said…
Can you pass it on? Maybe it will pop up in your kids, in ways you least expect it. I LOVE what Kelsey et al are doing gathering the icons to ship (how can we help, BTW?)

Can we change things? Maybe a little? Can we grow from your experience. I hope so, but I know what a selfish so-and-so I can be (and you probably do too!).

Please forgive me (everyone), and God willing I won't take things as much for granted. And focus on sharing and giving away, rather than accumulating @$%@.
Anonymous said…
What does one do with what *he* has seen?

Correct grammar, please.

- Steve K :o)
fdj said…
I can always count on you SK.

:)
Thomas Ham said…
were you in acholi land?
fdj said…
Thomas...

Oh no, I was nowhere near that far north. The furthest I got north from Kampala was Bombo...perhaps 25km.

The tech I was/am, training though I believe is acholi.

Popular Posts