Answers on the Radio

Recently “heard” someone blogging (cannot for the life of me recall where - and I looked) about how we Orthodox tend to make too much of the west being juridical and analytical in their theology. Maybe so…indeed the west is not some static entity, certainly the pomo’s are showing us this.

Anyway, I listen to alot of Christian Radio. Everyday on my way home from work I jump back and forth between Catholic Answers and the Bible Answer Man (As a side note, I prefer Karl, he seems to like us Orthodox better than Hank does). Obviously, based on the nomenclature, they have the answers. I suppose we Orthodox have our answers too, we just don’t have a cool radio show that has the word “Answer(s)” in it. Rather we have a show called “Come Receive the Light” which began at last to be aired here in the Seattle area last Saturday.

Anyway, in listening to these Protestant and Roman Catholic radio programs one cannot help but hear intense juridical and analytical theological musings…so much so that sometimes I am literally astounded. Now I know, I know these shows do not speak for the whole of either entity (who or what could?) but it does make me think that the Eastern opinion that the west overly emphasizes such things is not completely a “straw man.”

One might imagine hearing over and over again on the Orthodox Answers program: “We do not know, it is a mystery.”
Hey, I could do THAT show.


Comments

Popular Posts