Just do it

There was a big part of me that just simply was/is not ready for Lent...and yet here it is. I wholly believe our priest's declaration that if left up to ourselves we wouldn't have a Lent. Certainly, this would be such an occassion for me. God will understand that I am tired, wearied by caring for four children, burdened with financial woes and complexities, and in an altogether lazy stump. Let's push Lent back to the mid-summer, or perhaps early fall....tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, you're ALWAYS a day away!

Of course some are able to see the good side of it all and relish in it, but such was not the case with me. In no small way Forgiveness Vespers really brought me out of this mindset. One nice and stubborn thing about the Church is that we do things according to Her calender, not mine: an instant lesson in humility. Any good coach would not let his or her athelete slack off. Of course I do not wish to paint a picture of a brutal tyrant, the Paschal homily of St. John Chrysostom is ALWAYS read at Pascha for a very good reason.

I guess I'm ready now...I hear the music and have just about got the rythym down to begin the dance...

One can see that Lent is a very rich, very deep agglomeration of different elements. They serve to purify and to enlighten us. During the time of Lent, the Church leads, as if by the hand, towards the radiant paschal feast. The more serious our Lenten preparation has been, the deeper we shall enter into the mystery of Easter and gather its fruits.

from The Year of Grace of the Lord


Comments

Popular Posts