Discernment

I know.
I can tell.
I can see.
I feel.
I sense.
I, I, I.

I recently read a post in which someone was lamenting about the horrible condition of the "church" - using the term in the protestant sense. He goes on to list all the things that are screwed up about all the different denominations and throws his hands in the air in frustration - not knowing where to go to Church. (I'm not linking to it because I don't wish to engage him on the topic - as I don't know him, but rather want to discuss it amongst those who grace this place with their presence.)

The one thing that stands out to me, as I read many of the "I can relate" comments to the post was the extent to which it all came back to me...that is the "I" factor. In a sense, we set ourselves up above ALL the denominations, all the history and say that none of them are worthy of our participation. Now, I know that that is NOT the intentional spirit of what is being said or done...but I think it might be the reality of the situation. By what measure can we as individuals judge the churches? Are we really looking for a perfect and flawless denomination? Failing to find one, do we start our own? And if we wish it to be flawless, can we expect it to remain so if others join us?

What do you think? Can this lead to the "me and Jesus going to church alone on the beach" mentality?

Comments

Popular Posts