The Theotokos in The Passion

Yesterday afternoon had me spending time thinking about that movie that starts today about Jesus, have you heard about it?

On the Catholic Answers radio program I learned, much to my suprise, that Mel is apart of a group that is not in communion with Rome. I had no idea, I mean I knew that he was very much a traditionalist but it didn't occur to me that he might not be a Ctholic in union with the Roman Pontiff. Anyway, that is just an intriguing sidebar.

I watched a documentary on PAX last night which was about the making of the film, and while I experienced my own little passion in having to suffer through the unimaginably stupid "christian" commercials (Good Lord, talk about oxymorons!) it was none-the-less a fgacinating glimpse into aspects of the film.

As a traditionalist Catholic we can rightfully expect to see our Lady portrayed as more than just a grieving motherly witness to all these events. Rather, even in watching some excerpts and some of the direction Mel was giving Maia, I could see that she is "in the loop" as to what is happening. Thank God...and thank you Mel!

At one point we hear Mary say as she watches her son being led away by guards: "And so it begins..." and then as He is carrying His cross toward Calvary she follows along in the crowd and is mystically somehow able to see satan on the other side also following along. In his direction, Mel tells Maia that she is the only person who is able to see it and I thought to myself: "Wow, what a cool concept."

In another scene that was shown in the documentary, an adult Jesus lovingly and playfully gives his mother a kiss. Now think about this for a moment, why should this strike me as being odd or unusual? Proabably because I had this underlying belief or impression that once Jesus became an adult he must have treated his mom like one of his followers...the mother-son relationship had to cease, probably based on that little verse when Jesus says "who are my brothers and sisters?". I must have thought something along these lines...I just don't have any recollection of giving much thought to the reality of their relationship. We moderners just don't seem to like the idea of some people being "special" in the eyes of God...the God who authored the US declaration of independence.

I am glad to see the Theotokos given her due and am anxious to see what else Mel might have done in the film to further show the role the second Eve plays in our salvation. This is our tradition...believing that "blessed" does not equal "lucky" and that to believe that any young somewhat pious girl would have served God's purpose in incarnating God is to be blind to the physical reality and holiness of the incarnation.

What ponderings might we glean from the Mother of God in this Lenten season?

Pray for us, O birthgiver of God!



Comments

Popular Posts