I am a Christian

What does this statement mean?

In the past, I would have claimed that one cannot simply claim to be one and thus REALLY be one. In other words, there were REAL Christians and there were unREAL Christians. Essentially we equated the term with salvation.

As Orthodox we do not believe that salvation is a once in time event - we simply have no theological basis by which to ever use the term in the past tense. So, what does it mean to fancy yourself a Christian? I am reminded that we Orthodox do not also equate the term Church with salvation either...this may add to the depth of this potential discussion.

I know I know...by our love for one another you will be known...but is there more to it than that? No doubt, the Mormons have love for one another. Does this lead us to importance of theological correctness or exactness as a litmus test for "REAL" vs "unREAL" Christians?

Comments

Popular Posts