Explanation

OK, so I have received a host of confused emails and comments in regards to my post A Tale of Two Countries and their Religions. That post was a response to the discussion being had over at the Violent Monkee in which someone basically had said that before we convert to Orthodoxy we should spend some time in a traditionally Orthodox country to see how screwed up it is. Thereby, I assume, dissuading us from converting. I hope my post shows the absurdity of this claim and was actually summed up much more concisely by the good Rdr. John when he said: "For any faith it is all a question of whether you judge by the highest manifestation or the lowest"

But there is a secondary point in that post. The person making the comment originally (that we ought to experience the depravity of Orthodox countries), is a Protestant missionary in Eastern Europe. And thus, to some extent my post also says: Why travel thousands of miles to do God's work, while walking away from God's work to be done in your own backyard?

Why does Greece, Russia, or the Ukraine need American missionaries any more than America?

Comments

Popular Posts