The Reluctant Ugandan Traveller

Well, it had been brewing for awhile now and I was to some degree anticipating having to confront it. In January our lead scientist (my boss) went instead of me because I would not miss Rade's wedding. I knew she would expect me to go this time.

So a three week trip to Uganda awaits me. Now I know that many of you are saying: "Oh my goodness James what an awesome opportunity! A free trip to Uganda!!!" And yes, truly, it is an amazing opportunity that I would never have otherwise...but you see I am a bit of a homedbody I guess. For those who are single or have no kids or are "career minded" then it would no doubt be a very exciting thing. But for me...well 3 weeks is a long time to be away from home and my family.

It's odd to see the surprise in people's eyes when I do not ooze with enthusiasm for this trip. I guess I really am becoming a dinosaur in that I'm more inclined not to miss three weeks with my family and my farm that to "advance my career" and "have an adventure."

So why am I going? First and foremost, my wife has given her blessing. Secondly it would appear for a variety of reasons that I was the only person qualified to do this and that many many people were holding their collective breath waiting for my decision. Thirdly, the work we are doing in Uganda is truly a noble endeavor (I'll blog details later) and it is for this cause rather than for "career advancement" or "adventure" that I will get on that plane in a couple months.

Also I've emailed the OCMC Missionaries in Uganda to see if I might be able to lend a hand in someway while I am there.

Comments

Mimi said…
Godspeed.

I know a Seminarian from Uganda, would you like me to see if he has an email address? Or, you can visit our parish before you leave - he is summering here.
Stacy said…
WHEN????? When are you going to Uganda? You know I'm moving there right? Ahhh... I'm so excited! Yea, you're going to Uganda!

Mimi... are you talking about Fotios? Please say YES!
Mimi said…
No, Elias.
fdj said…
Hey Stacy/Mimi...

Yeah I meant to email you Stacy. I'm leaving at the very end of July and will be there for three weeks. I don't have a definite itinerary yet.

Yes, let Elias know and see if there is a way for me to contact him. Looks like I'll be spending Dormition there.

The lab actually rents a house there, but I have no idea yet where it is...or even where the lab is that we are helping to set up...details are coming.

:)
Stacy said…
Yes, do e-mail. We'll be there for a bit of the same time. I get there on August 8th in the evening.

email: orthodork[at]gmail[dot]com
layne (herman) said…
safe travels and enjoy the adventure.
Mimi said…
He's at our parish now, I will find out if he is email contactable, but otherwise, he's definitely reachable at our parish phone. I'll email it to you in the next couple of days.

And, wonderful you and Stacy will be there at the same time.

Popular Posts