Why Rewards?

I've been following the distressing story of Kelsey Smith. Is it normal for this to be getting so much media attention? I mean its a good thing, but I wonder if an unattractive girl had been abducted if it would get the same amount of attention? That's the cynic in me.

Anyway, sharing my daughter's name brings this home to me.

They are offering $30,000 for information that leads to her safe return. What is the deal with such rewards? I mean what sick piece of work would respond to a reward, whereas without a reward they would remain silent? Who would not welcome the opportunity to help save this girl from the filth that took her?

I suspect it speaks to our overall opinion of things like pride, good reputation, honesty, goodness, and reliability...in general I guess we just don't ascribe much worth to esteem anymore. Maybe we haven't in a long time? How nice it would be to see someone help save Kelsey and then flatly deny the reward. Could one accept money for doing something so clearly and obviously right? I dunno...being poor its tempting...maybe put it in my kids' college fund?

Or buy my daughters handguns, CPL's, and training down at the Kitsap Rifle Club.

Pray for Kelsey.

Addendum: Sadly, Kelsey didn't make it. Who still doubts there is such a thing as evil in the world?

Memory Eternal.

Comments

Popular Posts