Went to War

On July 21st, 1861, civilians from Washington DC piled their families into carriages with picnic baskets in tow, for a leisurely afternoon of watching their Union Army defeat the rebels down in Virginia near a creek called Bull Run. By the end of that day, these people would be fleeing for their lives as the rebels routed the Union Army.

Thankfully, on Saturday, my family and some friends, were able to remain at our leisure while the soldiers fought in the field nearby the "village" of Port Gamble. I have to say, it was awesome! The only civil war re-enactment I have attended involved a handful of men, whereas this apparently had over 500 re-enactors, of whom I imagine 300 were in the field.



Port Gamble is a town "locked" in the mid-late 19th century and so it is an ideal venue for a re-enactment. The kids were awed - my eldest daughter ran a pen out of ink taking notes on all she saw, heard, smelled, and touched, it really brought history to life for them...and for me.

Before and after the battle, you can wander about the camps (Union in the little valley, Confederates up on the hill) and talk to the re-enactors, all of whom - it would seem - being semi-pro historians with something to offer. I knew we'd be in for a treat when we drove up and saw the vast array of tents and the soldiers out drilling in the field. Horses trotted about, wagons, cannon, period homes, soldiers lounging, soldiers barking orders, soldiers singing and playing instruments, drums belting out marching beats, etc etc.

We spent some time speaking to 1st Lieutenant Samuel H. Davis, Commander, Co G of the 14th Virginia Cavalry. (He's first in line on their right)



In real life, he is Bob Davisson of Spokane and was exceptionally friendly and happy to show us his horses and talk to us about all manner of cavalry related "stuff"


And here we are learning about artillery:

I now know EXACTLY what is involved in following the order when the artillery commander cries out "Four second fuses!"

Here, Greg and I receive our $10 advance for "signing up" with the 20th Maine. I'll admit to wrestling about doing so, having a good deal of sympathy for states rights. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind and head south.


This was one of the coolest things we've done. We will be there next year, and can hopefully stay for the dance that night, the music for which is performed by a couple from our Parish!

Here is an article about the event...you may need to register.

Pic credits go to the Sallis family (and a little to the Kitsap Sun)...thanks guys...we had a blast! (literally).

Huzzah! (3x)

I forgot to mention, I had three separate people ask if I was an "out of costume" re-enactor...because of the prominent style of my facial hair.

Comments

Anonymous said…
James - what does 19th cen beer taste like?


sf
fdj said…
Well aged.
layne (herman) said…
back in the day i used to be on the mailing list for a 'ministry' that played the role of chaplins at re-enactments. the literature they sent was actually pretty interesting.

also... last month there was a re-enactment in the goldendale area. some folks from our Parish attended that one.

Popular Posts